Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Duchesse De Bourgogne

This beer is one that I've had both on draft and out of the bottle. It will probably always be one of my personal favorites and it is an amazing beer. It is the kind I would recommend for friends that don't like the taste of beer or prefer drinks like Mike's Hard.

Stats:
Appearance - Once poured, this beer has an amazing reddish tint to it with very little head or lattice.
Smell - There's a faint smell of cherries with this one, it masks the small hint of actual beer you get from the rest of it.
Taste - The taste of this beer is somewhere between wine and candy. There's almost nothing to suggest it's ever been related to beer. It is definitely what I would consider a desert beer, with it's fruity aftertaste and pleasantly mild flavor it can compliment just about any food you might want to have it with.
Feel - It has a small fizz of champagne at the beginning and keeps it for a while. It almost feels like drinking a pop.
Drinkability - Everything about this beer is drinkable. After the initial carbonation passes, it goes down smoothly and could easily be one you have over and over again.

Drew's Ratings:
2 or 3 - This beer cannot possibly be fully appreciated unless it's had early in the night. It makes an excellent first beer, but its sweet flavor could easily wash out the taste of bad decisions.

AND

Somewhere between F and G - It's really difficult to place this one. There are so many qualities about this beer that I like, it's difficult to place. I want to give it a G, but I'm so inexperienced that I want to reserve this category for down the road. That being said, it's still better than most that would fit into the F category.


Overall: A-

Bright the cheeks and warm the heart,
-NEO-BS

4 comments:

  1. Oops, actually commented on this one in the post below. Didn't realize you had done the review right afterwards.

    Anyway, I always think "apple cider" when I drink Duchesse. It doesn't taste exactly like cider, but it's got some qualities of it. It's also a beer that I've gotten non-beer-drinkers into, which should say something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely, it does have a sort of cider vibe to it that beer just doesn't. It's why I'd classify it as a "desert beer" or even almost a wine. Still, I had to put it up on here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Craft beer stores in general are hit or miss with a beer like this. Fortunately for you (since I know where you live), the place mentioned a few posts more recent on 43 carries this in bottles for $5 (2.50 cheaper than at the Cave).

    If you remind me on Friday, I'll pick one up for you before the session!

    ReplyDelete